Wilmslow Albion Football Club match reports – 21/10/19


It was another good away day this past weekend for Wilmslow Albion, as the Oakmen made it back to back league victories with a 5-3 win against Altrincham Hale.

Wilmslow made three changes from the cup game against Newton Athletic last week, as Kieran Casey was brought into the attack in place of Mansour, who was struggling with a back injury. 

Rammy came into the number 10 position in place of Harry Sexton, while Lee Arnold was brought into the back three in place of Alex Salmon.

This game would not see a brilliant start for Wilmslow Albion though.

In the third minute, Altrincham got a corner on the right-hand side, the taker played it out to Chris Sissling, who had made a run on the edge of the box that wasn’t picked up, and he curled it past Jonny Cregeen to make it 1-0.

Wilmslow tried to get a quick response after falling behind, Ibra Thiam held the ball up well on the left-hand side of the box, he laid it off to Casey, who had his shot cleared off the line by an Altrincham Hale defender.

Wilmslow kept pressing for the equaliser, Danny Pearson played a long ball over the top, who headed it over to the right for Aidan Hussey, but he could only direct his effort just wide of the near post.

Altrincham then had two very good long-range efforts that caused some trouble for the Wilmslow defence.

The first effort saw a shot from around 25 yards struck by the Altrincham number 14, which went wide, before the number 10 picked the ball up from the right, fired a shot from just outside the box, which smacked against the post and wide.

Wilmslow then got their equaliser in the 15th minute, a ball from the left by Joe Kirk got to Thiam, he turned and hammered a shot which the Altrincham keeper saved brilliantly onto the bar, but it landed at the feet of Casey, who tapped in the equaliser.

It nearly got even better for Wilmslow from the spot, a strike from Tom Crompton was handled by an Altrincham Hale defender and the referee pointed straight to the spot.

Pearson stepped up to take it but the keeper got down low to his left and stopped it brilliantly. 

There was nearly some brilliance from Altrincham Hale, as the number 10 picked the ball up from the left, cut inside onto his right and fired an effort from 30 yards, which cannoned off the crossbar and bounced to an offside forward, a huge bit of good fortune for Wilmslow Albion. 

Wilmslow then had a corner cleared out to Hussey, who had his effort saved by the Altrincham goalkeeper. 

Between the 20th and the 35th minute, both goalkeepers were the two men on top of this game.

As the Altrincham Hale number 8 got beyond the Wilmslow Albion backline, he was one on one with Cregeen, but the Wilmslow stopper got a big glove on it and stopped the midfielder getting any further towards goal.

Wilmslow Albion then got a free kick on the left-hand side from around 30 yards, Pearson stepped up, whipped it towards the keeper’s top right, but a stunning stop from the keeper kept it from creeping in.

Cregeen then stopped another, as the number 17 picked up the ball on the right, cut inside, fired a shot at goal but Cregeen got a hand on it, the ball bounced behind him and after a pantomime shout of “behind you” by the Wilmslow Ultras, he grabbed and held the ball.

The last 10 minutes of the first half proved to be quite frantic.

Altrincham Hale got themselves back in front, when a ball from the right was tapped into the back of the net by Jack Yates.

But after Altrincham Hale re-established their lead, it was pegged back five minutes later.

A ball was threaded through for Casey, he was tackled and the ball cannoned back off the forward and onto the bar, but it came back out to Casey and he put it away to get Albion back level.

Wilmslow will not have wanted the half to end, as with the next and final attack of the half, Crompton dispossessed the Altrincham Hale winger and set off down the right.

He played it across to the edge of the box, Thiam picked up the ball, took it past the centre half and the Grand Canarian forward calmly put it into the back of the net.

The second half got underway and it was nearly a quick goal for Thiam, but he dragged his shot wide from the left-hand side of the box.

The big centre forward was inches away from grabbing his second of the game again, as a Kirk cross narrowly missed his diving header.

The next two shots on goal involved the man playing in the number 10 for the game, Rammy.

His first effort saw a corner floated out to the edge of the box, Rammy side-volleyed it but it just went wide of the post.

His second effort however, had a much-improved accuracy.

A ball was played into the middle for Hussey, he went out to the left-hand side, laid it off from the edge of the box to Rammy, who was stood around 25 yards out.

The Wilmslow attacking midfielder produced a controlled strike, which arrowed straight into the bottom corner, leaving the Altrincham Hale goalkeeper with no chance.

Altrincham Hale looked to try get themselves back into the game at the hour mark, as a cross from the left was met by their number 11, but the header went over the top.

Altrincham Hale’s number 7 provided huge pace throughout the match, as he sprinted down the left in 70th minute, but his side foot effort went agonisingly wide of the post.

The hosts were starting to get some big chances in this game, a ball from the right hand side of the box went over the head of Cregeen. 

The Altrincham Hale centre forward struck it goal-wards but Crompton was on the line to block it and get it clear. He has made a habit of this throughout the season the wing back. 

It was then another last 10 minutes of a half with Cregeen producing brilliant saves, the first of which was a ball to the back post which found the Altrincham number 3.

He volleyed it goalwards but Cregeen saved it with his feet and diverted it wide.

His next save was even better, it was another ball to the back post which Cregeen saved, it went back to the same player for the rebound, but the keeper, who puts the man in the Isle of Man, got a hand to the ball, used the post to assist him and kept it from going in, before a free kick was then given.

He then held a shot fired at him by the number 8, not his best save but still a vital stop at a vital time.

Even with time running out, Altrincham kept pushing and got a consolation very late on, as Jack Yates headed in his second from a corner to make it 4-3.

But with not much time left, a long ball from the kick off was flicked on by Kirk to Thiam, who fired it past the keeper with the final shot of the game.

So, it was a fantastic away win for Wilmslow Albion. They showed great resilience to come back from a goal down twice and then took control of the game.

The front two and Rammy in behind were fantastic in this game and Cregeen in goal was producing some unbelievable saves to stop Altrincham Hale scoring any more goals.

This victory sees the Oakmen move up to fifth place in the Manchester Football League Division One and face a tough fixture next week against top of the table Boothstown.




Subscribe here