
Crewe and Nantwich MP Kieran Mullan says he is willing to support motorists who received fines when a car park in Crewe was closed by Cheshire East Council last week.
He says the council has turned down appeals from motorists who were caught up in a botched car park closure, which he complained about – saying there was inadequate signage to warn them of the closure.
To make matters worse, the council’s phone app still allowed people to pay for parking, which the MP says would’ve led them to believe they were allowed to do so.
Oak Street Car Park was closed for a day on Monday 22nd August, but it seems a number of people were unaware of the closure, which was advertised via plain white notices on lamp posts.
Despite indicating appeals against the fines would be considered sympathetically, the council has denied refunds to a number of motorists – including members of staff from his office.
The appeals came from people who had paid to park using the PayByPhone parking app, meaning they did not visit the parking machine where the notices were most prominent.
Dr Mullan said: “This is very disappointing and I have written to the council to ask them to think again.
“If the car park had a proper prominent sign or a barrier put up, if the machine was bagged up, if the app wasn’t allowing people to book – none of this would have happened.
“The council shouldn’t dig their heels in, they should just recognise this wasn’t done properly, apologise and quash the fines.
“I will be supporting anyone who doesn’t pay their [fine] and challenges it.”








