Most Read

So Counties

Wilmslow Albion Football Club match reports – 21/02/20


Wilmslow Albion were knocked out of the Murray Trophy on Saturday as the Oakmen suffered a 2-0 cup loss away at Tintwistle Athletic.

There were five changes from the game against Govan Athletic last week:

  • Jon Moran was in goal for Kelsey Robinson
  • Malachi Clarke and Josh Plant were replaced by Louis Mundin and Scott Kempson
  • Danny Pearson dropped into the back three
  • Callum Knight came into the team in place of Rammy 
  • Charles Yeboah started up front in place of Kieran Casey

Wilmslow got their first opportunity within the first minute, as a corner was cleared to Mundin, who laid it off to Aidan Hussey, who could only fire it over the top.

Tintwistle then had their first opportunity of the game, as a short corner wasn’t picked up by Wilmslow and the number 7 hit his chance over the bar.

There were then two chances for left wing back Joe Kirk.

The first was a great ball from Pearson to Ibra Thiam, who dummied it for Kirk to run onto.

He struck the ball from a narrow angle and it cannoned off the post, before his next effort was a strike from outside the box which went into the back of the net but was ruled offside.

The next opportunity saw Tintwistle’s number 5 head a chance wide, followed by a great move from Wilmslow.

Thiam played it to Kirk, who played it across the box for Yeboah, who couldn’t finish the chance and the ball went wide of the keeper’s left-hand post.

It would prove to be a big miss, as Tintwistle Athletic punished the Oakmen with their next chance where the number 8 scored a free kick from 25 yards out.

Wilmslow produced one more chance before half time as, ten minutes before the break, Kirk produced a fantastic ball to the backpost for Knight.

Knight went to volley the effort but it was blocked and Mundin then had a further shot blocked before Tintwistle got the ball clear.

Tintwistle would then have an opportunity five minutes before the break, as Wilmslow blocked a header off the line and after a goalmouth scramble the visitors cleared their lines.

The home side got the first chance of the second half, as Moran denied Tintwistle’s number 9 after he dispossessed the skipper Pearson.

Wilmslow’s first chance of the half saw a ball from the right by Knight flighted towards the back post and Kirk’s strike was cleared away, before Thiam fired an effort from a corner over the bar a couple of minutes later.

There were then two chances for both teams either side of the hour mark, with the number 9 for Tintwistle Athletic having a low strike saved by Moran, before a Kirk free kick was stopped by the Tintwistle keeper.

Moran was called into action once again in the 62nd minute, as he had to dive to stop a cross reaching a Tintwistle player, before the number 8 shot over.

Right wing back Tom Crompton produced some fantastic footwork around the box and engineered a shot for himself. but the keeper saved and it nearly bounced in off a Tintwistle defender.

Tintwistle went on to double their lead with 15 minutes to go, as the number 2 lifted the ball over the defender on the right and headed the ball past Moran and into the net. 

Adam Smullen had a half chance straight at the keeper, before Tintwistle’s number 14 had an effort tipped onto the bar by Moran.

There was a final chance for each team at the end of the game – the first was an effort wide from Tintwistle’s number 17 and a long free kick from Knight was headed just wide by Thiam.

So Wilmslow Albion are out of the Murray Trophy. The Oakmen had chances in the game but weren’t able to convert those chances into goals.

Wilmslow will be looking to bounce back from this cup defeat as the return to the Manchester Football League division one, with an away fixture against Moorside Rangers.



Subscribe here


January 2022
« Oct    

Subscribe here