Article and images by Jonathan White
The annual ‘Holly Fair’ took place at Wells Green Methodist Church (Brookland Avenue in Wistaston) on Saturday 3rd November 2018.
In the entrance hall there was a Fairtrade stall with numerous food items, a hamper to be raffled, a book stall and Christmas cards for sale.
Santa Claus was kept very busy in his grotto, providing gifts to all the boys and girls with the assistance of his elf helper.
The stalls in the church hall included: toys, books, costume jewellery, a Christmas stall, cakes, a green and gold stall, crafts and preserves.
The cafe offered a wide variety of refreshments for sale – including soup, quiches, sandwiches, rolls, cakes, trifles and jellies.
Teresa Hoper and Myra Wood co-ordinated the refreshments and Pat Nott organised the publicity and the stalls.
The event raised £1,937.23 including donations, and over £280 was raised for Fairtrade from the sale of their goods.
Pat Nott, commented: “Our annual Holly Fair is always held on the first Saturday in November.
“It’s a very popular and traditional fair and people come back each year to find their Christmas bargains, sample our delicious refreshments and enjoy the fellowship.
“Setting up for the event is a team effort, whether it is arranging the stalls, making cakes and sandwiches, donating items for sale or coming along and enjoying the day.
“I am very grateful to everyone who helped or supported the event. Hope to see you next year!”
Future events at Wells Green Methodist Church include:
– Sunday 18th November (5pm) – a showing of the movie ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society’. Admission is free.
– Sunday 2nd December (10:30am) – annual toy and gift service. Donate toys and gifts to help ensure others are not without some joy at Christmas.
– Friday 7th December (7pm) – Wistaston Community Christmas concert with Wells Green Church Choir, the Shavington Academy Band and the Church Lane Academy Choir.
– Saturday 8th December (3pm) at Shavington Methodist Church – ‘A Time to Remember’ service, recalling the love of those no longer with us. All welcome to come and place a named tag on a Christmas tree.
– Wednesday 12th December (7.30pm) – choir and young musicians present a concert in aid of Action for Children. Come and support them as they raise money to enable children in difficult circumstances to live a more fulfilling life.
– Sunday 23rd December (6pm) – carol service.
– Monday 24th December (4pm) – nativity and Christingle service. Something for all the family.
– Monday 24th December (11:15pm) – Midnight communion, at Shavington Methodist Church.
– Tuesday 25th December (9.15am / 10.30am) – Christmas Day family worship. Join in to celebrate the birth of Christ: 9:15am at Shavington Methodist Church, 10:30am at Wells Green Methodist Church
– Sunday 30th December (10.30am) – a united service with other churches in the area at St John’s Methodist Church, Willaston, followed by lunch and table games.
– Sunday 6th January 2019 (9.15am) – bacon butties followed at 9.30am by a lively Energise service. Annual covenant service at 10.30am.
For further information relating to Wells Green Methodist Church please visit: www.ropegreenmethodists.org / www.facebook.com/wellsgreenchurchwistaston or contact Rev Den Harding via: 01270 666156 / email@example.com.
Wells Green Methodist Church hall is available for hire for meetings, celebrations, displays etc. WiFi is installed. For further information please contact Doreen Jones on 01270 652 458.